This Christmas, the Clare College catering team explore their favourite festive recipes which you can try at home.
Christmas is the perfect time to indulge in sweet treats and what could be better than some classic gingerbread? Clare College’s Head Chef, Byron, shares with you his recipe so you can make this Christmas biscuit for all your guests to enjoy.
Clare College’s recipe for gingerbread
- 300g of self-rising flour
- 5g cinnamon
- 5g bicarbonate of soda
- 5g ground ginger
- 5g mixed spice
- 165g unsalted butter
- 165g golden syrup
- 120g treacle
- 375ml full-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 165g dark brown sugar
- 50g chopped stem ginger
- Melt the butter with the golden syrup and treacle in a pan.
- Blend together the brown sugar, milk, egg and stem ginger using a hand blender.
- Add the butter, syrup and black treacle to the mix and combine slowly.
- Once incorporated, gently fold in the flour, bicarbonate soda, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice.
- Bake in a lined deep tray at 150°C/gas mark 2 for 30-40 minutes.
- Leave to the gingerbread to cool.
Discover more recipe ideas by signing up to the Clare College Conferencing mailing list. Click here to sign up.